We recently purchased Hemp Seed oil and Hemp Seed Protein from the Oil Project out of their store at Hobsonville Point. We have enjoyed adding Hemp to our regular meals and were interested to find out more about the health and nutritional benefits of hemp.
Here are some fun facts…
- Protein: Hemp seeds are a complete source of protein and contain almost as much protein as soybeans.
- Hemp is a great source of unsaturated fats, are low in saturated fats and contain no trans fats.
- Fiber: hemp seeds are a good source of fiber. Three tablespoons contain approximately 1.2 g of fiber.
- Minerals and vitamins: Hemp seeds are especially rich in vitamin E, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium. They are also a good source of iron, zinc, and B vitamins.
- Protecting the brain: The CBD compound found in hemp seeds may help with neurological conditions, like Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease and multiple sclerosis.
- Boost heart health: the omega-3 fatty acids in hemp seeds improve the health of the heart and reduce the risk of issues such as arrhythmias and heart disease