The proposed referendum question is:
Key Points about the referendum
The referendum is about recreational cannabis only
The core elements of the proposed scheme are:
- A minimum purchase and use age of 20
- Confining use to private homes and licensed premises
- Prescribing conditions for personal growing and sharing
- Requirements for public health messaging
- Licensing the whole of the supply chain
- Restricting marketing and advertising
What happens after the votes are counted?
If more than 50% of voters vote ‘Yes’ in the referendum, recreational use of cannabis won’t become legal straight away. After the election, the incoming Government can introduce a Bill to Parliament that would make recreational use of cannabis legal. This process would include the opportunity for the public to share their thoughts and ideas on how the law might work.
If more than 50% of voters vote ‘No’ in the referendum, recreational use of cannabis will remain illegal, as is the current law.
Medicinal cannabis and hemp will not be affected by the outcome of the referendum. Medicinal use of cannabis will still be allowed if prescribed by a health practitioner and hemp will still be legal.